Tuesday 25 April 2017

Retro Rubber 61 - DT Card

Welcome to a new challenge at Retro Rubber. It was fun looking at all the different ways people used critters in our last challenge. It's a good thing when it's hard to choose, I think!

This time round, the challenge is to use buttons in your project. As always, since this is RETRO rubber, you must use stamps that are at least a year old AND give us an indication of how old they are.


I'll confess that I've gone a bit crazy this week. If you follow me regularly, you'll know that at heart I like a lot of clean, empty space and I'm often found playing with soft and muted colours. This week, things got riotous!




There's two reasons for this. The first was the colours of the buttons that I had that matched my papers and inks. The second came out a recent technique class I held. One of the cards I did used Joseph's Coat as a background technique. One of the women there asked me if you could use a colour other than black to cover over the embossing, so I needed to try it out.  



The answer, it turns out, is yes. Believe it or not, the colour I used to  cover over the sponging and embossing is Elegant Eggplant and in real life, you can see that. It's just a little less dark and a bit warmer than using black and that's also why I used Elegant Eggplant for part of the greeting. Such a bright card must surely be destined to cheer someone up, so it became a get well card.



I'd always planned to used my button as the centre of the flower but I added in a couple of others, kind of in the way you might add sequins or enamel shapes. 

Both my stamp sets are old. Flower Shop, although still current, has been around ever since I first discovered Stampin' Up and was maybe the third set I ever got. I see it first appeared in the 2013-14 Catalogue. The other set, Fabulous Four, I haven't had so long but it appeared in the 2014-15 catalogue but has since, sadly, retired.

Remember - stamps older than a year, tell us how old they are and don't link up to more than ten challenges in total. Those are all the rules. We'd love to see what you do with your retro stamps and your buttons. You can join us until 5 May. 

Ingredients
Card: Crushed Curry, Wild Wasabi, Whisper White, watercolour paper
Stamps: Flower Shop, Fabulous Four
Inks: Calypso Coral, Crushed Curry, Wild Wasabi, Elegant Eggplant, versamark
Other: Clear embossing powder, sponges, aquapainter, buttons, Leaf sizzlit (well retired!)

9 comments:

  1. Well Jan, so glad you tried this technique because it's amazing and so is your card. Love the beautiful contrast of the black background with the colorful flowers, I've never seen this technique before but I'm going to give it a try.
    Love how the flowers just literally pop off the panel, so beautiful.
    Hugs,
    Maria.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, Jan, I have to say that I couldn't wait to read how you created this card to see if you did it the way I imagined. So happy to say that you did and your results are fabulous! Love every single detail and the more I look at it, the more I found. I love cards like that and yours will make anyone feeling under the weather feel better! Well done, my friend!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this Jan, your background is stunning, great technique - your card is perfect for the burst of sunshine and heat we are experiencing in NYC right now. Cx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderfully done card to cheer up someone feeling under the weather. Not a technique I've ever done, but need to try

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a gorgeous background! Totally amazing colors, and this flower is perfect for it. I had to look up the technique and now I simply must give it a try... when there's time. Thanks so much for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome! Make sure you let the ink dry well before you emboss or else it will get very patchy.

      Delete
  6. I would loooove to see a tutorial for this because it is gorgeous and so amazing! Loooooove it!!❤️

    ReplyDelete
  7. Jan beautiful card! I love the flower and your background.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am loving the things I learn from reading your posts! I haven't done this technique in awhile, and it is gorgeous on your cheery card!

    ReplyDelete