Saturday 21 February 2015

PPA240 and JAI251

Last weekend,  I made a card using my Sprightly Sprockets dies. They were still on my desk and as they are such fun to use, they ended up contributing to this card for Pals Paper Arts and Just Add Ink too.

Pals Paper Arts provided this sketch:


while Just Add Ink's theme was to "Just Add Thanks."






I've had fun experimenting with faux metal, ever since I saw a video by Allison Okamitsu on rusted metal embellishments and had another play around with these cogs today. They started life this morning as a piece of corrugated cardboard from the recycling box.

I ummed and ahhed over using the three candy dots in the centre circle but in the end I put them on because they drew attention to the thank you, they linked the Elegant Eggplant together more and their shape replicated the circle holes in the cog, so added to the overall unity of the card.

And I'm still having a little love affair with the I Love Lace stamp.

Update: Delighted to have this card in the Top 3 picks at Pals Paper Arts.

Ingredients
Card: Elegant Eggplant, Sahara Sand, Whisper White
Stamps: Papillon Potpourri, Lotus Blooms, I Love Lace
Inks: Elegant Eggplant, Sahara Sand in the card.
Other: Butterfly punch, Elegant Eggplant candy dots, Square Lattice embossing folder, sponge for the light inking around the lace panel, dimensionals to lift the centre circle and small cogs, Elegant Eggplant marker to colour all cut edges.
For the Cogs
Corrugated cardboard, Spellbinders Sprightly Sprockets dies, gold ink, Cajun Craze and Pool Party, Clear and gold embossing powder.

13 comments:

  1. Love all the textures and colors thanks for sharing

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ooh I saw Allison's faux metal post and have been meaning to try it! You certainly got a great patina on your cogs Jan! Makes a great card thank you card for a bloke! Thanks for joining us at Just Add Ink this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the placement of the candy dots is perfect, Jan. Lovely colours, and interesting details, on this card. Thanks for joining in the fun at Just Add Ink this week!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did an amazing job transforming cardboard into these beautiful metal cogs. I think the candy dots are perfectly placed. Thanks for playing with the pals this week.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Fantastic way to use the sketch! Thanks for playing--come back soon!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOVE this card!! thanks for joining us at jai

    ReplyDelete
  7. Nice work on both challenges. Those cogs look amazing & fit the sketch really well. Thanks for playing at Just Add Ink this week. Di :-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the effect you have got on the cogs - they look like real metal. Love how you have teamed them with the Eggplant too. Chantell JAI

    ReplyDelete
  9. Fun card, love the metal cogs. Thanks for having fun with the PALS this week!

    ReplyDelete
  10. LOVE this card~! I will have to look up the faux metal... looks fabulous! Thanks so much for sharing this with the PPA this week. Hope to see you play often...

    ReplyDelete
  11. This card is awesome and I thought those cogs were real metal until I read that and I was thinking how heavy they must be. Duh! lol Thanks for joining us this week at Just Add Ink :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's an amazing technique and a great video clip. They do look so real. Next, I'm going to play round with different colours and embossing powders.

      Delete